Hard to Imagine

It's December 1st.  Wow.  I know it's very cliché...but this year has gone so, so fast!  

We've survived Black Friday, Small-Business Saturday, and today is Cyber Monday...tomorrow is Giving Tuesday.  Do you ever feel like every body wants a piece of you??

My dream is just to get back to the meaning of the season.  Love.  That's the reason Jesus Christ put on a robe of flesh and entered this cold, selfish world in the first place.  The love of God.  Jesus brought it to us.  We need to bring it to others.

Today's Advent scripture is found in John 1: -5.  The NIV says,
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it.
Jesus is the Word.  He was spoken into the womb of a virgin and became a human - a tiny baby human, so frail and helpless. 

As a mother, I know the feeling of awe and wonder that I felt the very first time I held my first-born child.  I studied her.  I touched her little wrinkly fingers.  Counted them...then counted her toes.  I was amazed that this little person had just hours before, lived inside my body. 

I was a young mother, only 21, when Rebecca was born.  I was suddenly overwhelmed that this person was relying on me for everything to keep her alive.  It was more than just food and shelter.  You can do that for a snail.  She needed love and nurturing.  She needed me to know the difference between the 'hungry' cry and the 'hurt' cry. 

I had a lot to learn.

But many times, since her birth, I have paused at this time of year and tried to wrap my brain around the fact that this fourteen year-old virgin mother, Mary, had the same feelings and fears that I had.  And talk abut pressure.  I was hoping to raise a caring person who would one day become a contributing member of society...she was raising the Savior of the world. 

My friend shared a link with me to one of my absolute favorite Christmas songs, and I want to share it with you.  I'm guessing you've heard it...but as you listen to it, hear it with your heart and try to imagine what Mary must have really felt. 

It's a lot to think about as we enter this over-commercialized time of year.  The real meaning of it all is to celebrate the birth of the One who came to save us.  Surely He must see our insatiable greed and wonder if we will ever truly understand.

Be blessed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Most Improved Student

The Importance of Learning to Dress the Part