The Struggle With Contentment

How do you strike a balance between being content and desiring to move forward?  There seems to be an element of guilt to the list of things I want to accomplish in the new year, but maybe it's just me.

It's probably a safe bet that the most common resolution for any new year is to lose weight...no matter how we choose to cleverly 'disguise' our desire to look and feel better. Some people are in denial and refuse to admit they want to lose weight (because that sounds so vain) so they adopt the socially acceptable language and say they want to "get fit and start living a healthy lifestyle".  (And if they happen to lose weight in the process, then oh well.) 

Me, well, I'm not ashamed to admit that my favorite jeans don't fit anymore...and that makes me mad...so to get back in them, I'll do whatever it takes (eat less, move more) to lose enough weight to get my behind in them once again.  

So if you ask me if I'm content with my body, the answer is no...so how do I reconcile that in my heart, when I'm called to contentment?  Certainly there are some things in my life that I am content with.  Take for instance, my shoe size.  I'm completely happy with that.  But my fingers feel fat and my rings are tight, perhaps I am just retaining water...but eating less and moving more could help that.  But I digress.

The more I think about what I'm truly content with in life, the further I hang my head in shame.  I'd love to say I'm content with my house...but it needs a new roof and the carpet upstairs is in pretty bad shape...and I want to paint the front door.  So am I content or not?

I looked up the word content (kuh n-tent) on Dictionary.com and it means 'satisfied with what one is or has; not wanting more or anything else.' 

Ehhemmm....well, that's a big, fat kick in the gut.  I am forced to admit that I struggle with this definition.  Who on earth could ever really say that they are completely satisfied with 'what one is or has'?  Does that mean that a content person doesn't ever want to learn or grow personally or professionally?  Or dream big dreams for themselves??  Doesn't this cast a negative shadow over every attempt to become something MORE in life?

But further research into the scriptures brings sweet relief (thank you, Jesus!) 

In Philippians 4:11, the Apostle Paul writes "11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. "  The Greek word he used for content is autarkés (Strong's 842), which means "Sufficiency within" - a positive self-sufficiency (inward adequacy) that comes through the indwelling power of Christ. 

Wow. 

My best friend has a necklace that says "I am enough."  That's what being content in a spiritual sense is all about...knowing that YOU ARE ENOUGH.  No matter what size your jeans are.  No matter how old your roof is.  You are enough. 

It's not about pretending to be satisfied with the status quo.  It's not about accepting the garbage the world offers you and claiming that you don't desire more (God's best) for your life....it's about acknowledging that you are enough when you allow Christ to dwell in you.  Those who don't know Christ, don't know what true contentment is.  How could they?

I'm so glad that we live by a different standard than the world.  I'm glad we don't define content the same way the world does.  It's good to know that when Christ took up residence in me that I became enough.  No matter what my circumstances...in sickness or in health....for richer or poorer...I am enough.  We are the Bride of Christ. 

Be blessed! 




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Most Improved Student

The Importance of Learning to Dress the Part