A Life of Privilege

I used to be able to get my son to take trash to the burn barrels or pick up fallen branches around the yard by offering to let him drive his dad's big 350 Ford diesel truck around the farm.  Now that he is almost 16, and driving often on his learner's permit, the allure just isn't there anymore.  I can no longer dangle that carrot in front of him.  What used to be a privilege has become a chore.

Isn't it strange how that happens. And it happens a lot.

Remember when you were a newlywed and picking up your husband's dirty socks felt like a privilege?  But after a few years, you find yourself grumbling under your breath, wondering why his socks can't make it two more inches into the laundry hamper instead of on the floor in front of it.  Has sex become a chore, after 20 years of marriage?  What once was an exciting way to demonstrate the love you felt, has become a sleeping aid. 

What about as a new mother...changing those first few dirty diapers - that was exciting for a day or two.  But after the first box of Pampers has been used up, you're insisting that your husband has his turn.  A new job?  Felt good at first, didn't it?  It was an answer to your prayers, but a year later you're finding it harder and harder to roll out of bed in the morning.

Life is full of examples of this phenomenon.  Perhaps the most troubling one of all is our spiritual life.  As a new Christian, we couldn't wait to get to church, but somewhere along the way, the chaos of life consumed us and it started to become a chore instead of a privilege.  Another thing to cross off our list.  Church.  Check.  Bible study.  Check.  Prayer time.  Check.  We're still going through the motions, and our heart is in it...sort of.  Usually, it is.  Maybe.

My guess is that even the late, great King David knew this feeling all too well.  After David had sinned with Bathsheba, his heart was wrenched.  He knew that his professed love for God had become a chore.  He cried out to the Lord in verse 12, "Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me." 

I love that verse!  I pray that prayer quite often.  Especially the 'willing spirit' part.  So often I will do the right thing with the wrong attitude.  Which, according to scripture is a total waste of my time as far as being done to the glory of God. 

I am comforted to know that God can bring back the joy to all the privileges...and He can grant us a willing spirit to sustain us!  Do you know what the definition of sustain is?

To support, hold or bear up from below; to bear; to undergo, experience or suffer; to endure without giving way or yielding; to keep from giving way; to keep up or keep going.

God can give us a willing spirit that will keep us from giving way, like David did with Bathsheba.  Like we've all done, time and again.  The willing spirit that God gives will keep us going, like the Energizer Bunny. 

When we see things as a privilege, it changes our attitude from grumbling to gratitude.  Any chore no longer feels burdensome.  Our hearts are filled with joy and appreciation.  Thank you, Jesus, for these dirty socks, because it means that my husband came home safely.  Thank you Lord for this job, because many are struggling to make ends meet.  Thank you, God!  This dirty diaper mean I am lucky enough to be a mother!

I've always loved cutting grass.  I love the sunshine, I love summer...but today, I found myself wising someone else was doing it.  I was grumbling...but God reminded me that having grass to cut, means  I have a beautiful home, and there's no drought.  Thank you, Lord, for reminding me that this chore is a privilege.

I pray that we could have our joy restored daily. Not just in our salvation, but in our love for each other.  People would certainly see a difference in us.  You can't hide a willing spirit.  You can't cover up a right attitude.  Our light will shine before all men. (Matt. 5:16) 

Be blessed!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Most Improved Student

The Importance of Learning to Dress the Part