Stand by Your Man

Today is not my day.

Not because things are going wrong...But because I'm dedicating this day to my husband, who has taken a vacation day to get things done around the homestead.  He's a hard working man - and while his job provides a means by which to live for our family, our homestead is a source of peace, comfort, escape and pride for him. 

It's Memorial Day weekend and an old Army buddy and his wife are coming to stay the weekend with us.  So naturally, my husband wants to have things looking nice.  There's trash to burn,(we live in the country...don't judge) weeds to pull, grass to cut, flowers to water, metal to recycle, landscaping to finish, etc.  I'm certain that his mental "to do" list is a mile long and looks nothing like mine... "get the pool ready, sit by the pool, read a book."  Nope.  No rest for him until the work is done. (Which usually doesn't happen until 'dark-thirty'.)

But to honor my husband as the head of our home and to speak his love language (Acts of Service and Quality Time), I will scrap my leisurely list and don my work gloves and holey jeans to stand beside him and be his help-mate.  (If you don't know what your husband's love language is, check it out here.)

When God created Adam, the very first problem he saw with His perfect creation was that Adam was lonely.  (Gen 2:18)  So God crafted a woman to be a 'suitable helper'.  I'm so glad that we were the first created being not made from the dust of the ground.  :)  But we were created from the rib God took from Adam's side.  We are meant to stand by our man.  (Thank you, Tammy Wynette.) 

Nothing makes my husband more happy than when I traipse around the property with him, talking, dreaming, planning and pruning.  It may seem silly to me that he trims the trees along the creek, but it makes him happy.  And his happiness is my happiness.  (That's what love is all about, right?)

I don't make a big fuss about it - I don't help him with an ulterior motive ("I helped you with the lawn, now you help me with the dishes!")  That's not a sacrifice, that's a trade-off.  And while your husband may be more inclined to helping with the dishes at the end of the day after you helped him, it's best not to expect it.  Nothing hurts more than unmet expectations.  So give him the gift of your time without expecting anything in return.

In keeping with the Titus 2:4 principle, I want to encourage you young wives to scrap your list for a day and just be available to do whatever your husband wants.  Golf?  Cutting grass?  Sex?  Whatever it is - your willingness to honor your husband brings honor to God.  And you might be pleasantly surprised at how your man responds. 

Gotta run...my man is waiting! 
Be blessed!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Most Improved Student

The Importance of Learning to Dress the Part