What's this all about??

Yesterday, as I was cutting the grass (as you'll find that I really do enjoy - just read my profile!), I had my headphones in my ears, and was listening to Pastor Rick Warren of Saddleback Church out in California.  There's a cool app called One Place (can't remember who turned me on to it) that has a list of different ministries and you can listen to a large number of archived messages any time you wish.  What a great use of technology!  (You can get it too!)
Anyway, Pastor Rick was preaching on having the courage to follow your calling.  I'm positive it was no mistake that I picked this message to listen to, since I had been praying in earnest for days, even weeks, about my calling...my purpose in life.  I eagerly listened to every word.  As God began to speak to my heart and show me the path I had been searching for, I couldn't wait to get started.
Later that night, as I sat at my computer, creating the blog site, I was completely lost for a title.  I stared at the blank space and the blinking cursor...but nothing came to mind.  I texted my friend for inspiration.  Her ideas were no help...so I decided to walk away from the computer and forget about it for the night.
This morning, I fought my flesh to get out of bed early.  I dragged myself to the kitchen to fix my coffee, then retreated to my favorite chair with my Bible and prayed, asking God to speak to me and show me something that I could use.  He lead me to the book of Titus.  Hmmm.  Titus.  Never really hear much about that one.  Ok.  So I decided to read the entire book...it's a short one anyway, only 3 chapters.
Titus was one of Paul's converts and this letter to him was giving instructions about Christian conduct.  Paul wrote about the qualifications of an elder of the church and about what doctrine should be taught.  And when I got to chapter 2 verse 3, I giggled about it, "Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live not to be slanderers (gossips) or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good."  It was the wine part that cracked me up. 
Perhaps it's cliché, but women my age often joke about having their wine.  Mostly it's in jest, but I do know of a friend or two that tend to enjoy their juice a little more than they should.  So, Paul specifically addressed the '40-somethings' to not be addicted to much wine. ha!
But it was in verse 4 that God seemed to shout to my spirit..."then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, (5) to be self-controlled, and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God." 
A couple things that struck me: Pastor Rick had just taught about the "Caleb generation" (over 40) and the "Timothy generation" (Under 40).  So at 45, I was forced to admit that I'm in the 'older' generation.  :( 
Secondly, my ladies' small group study has been reading "Living So That," by Wendy Blight...and wouldn't you know...this verse is a "SO THAT" verse.  Cool!!
So, I'm inviting you to participate with me in this project.  A place where all the wisdom, joy, hurt, love, and laughter can be shared from my heart to yours and hopefully help you along the journey. 
Romans 8:28 says that "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."  So everything that has happened to bring me and you to this place in our lives will work together for the good of those who love him...and that's US, sister. 
Can we lift each other up in prayer as we run the race called life, and share together all that God has for us?
I pray for each woman who reads these words that she will benefit from the things that I have learned, that God has placed in my heart to share, and especially the things that Satan intended for harm - let God use them to His glory!  Amen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Most Improved Student

The Importance of Learning to Dress the Part