A Face-to-Face Visit

Today I had the pleasure of a face-to-face visit over delicious coffee with a friend I hadn't seen in 13 years.  I almost said that I 'reconnected' with a friend...but thanks to modern technology, we were never really disconnected.  I  just moved 60 miles away.  But we have kept track of the big events, the silly things, the sadness and the successes in each other's lives. 


A couple of things that stuck me as I drove away from our two-hour visit...

I realized that it's great to have godly friends.  We shared prayer requests for the things that are going on in our lives now and we talked about God's faithfulness and mercy over the things that have happened since we last talked.  We talked about what's going on in the world and the second coming of Christ.  We talked about death and spending eternity with Jesus. 

We talked about our kids and the challenge of parenting.  We talked about careers and the opportunity to be a witness for Christ in a dark world.  We talked about our churches and how easily we become disillusioned with people. 

We laughed a lot and we got tears in our eyes.  And we enjoyed ourselves.

Another thing I realized, is how anxious I am to share my 'world' with her.  I can't wait for her to visit our farm and feed the ducks, and tour the barn, and avoid my slobbery dogs.  I am excited to take her on a ride in the RZR and get some mud on her 'city' shoes.  I will walk her around the property and show her the gazebo in Walnut Grove where my son got married...I will show her my home and all the things we've done to our old farm house since we bought it.  I will serve coffee and snacks, and invite her to join me on the porch swing, or on the deck.  I'll be so happy to have her here.  I did tell her that she would need to wear cowboy boots. 

And as I was picturing this visit in my mind...I felt God's spirit whisper to me that He feels the same way.  He can't wait for me to get to 'His place' so He can show me around.  We can chat and relax and He will be so happy that I'm there.  He has gone to great lengths to prepare a place just for me.

In John 14:3, Jesus says that He is going to prepare a place for us and then He's coming back to get us so that we can be with him.  And He won't care if I'm wearing my cowboy boots.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Most Improved Student

The Importance of Learning to Dress the Part