A Demonstration of Love

Life is precious...and often too short.  Even though death is the only thing that we can absolutely count on, when a life ends, someone feels the pain of loss.

A sweet lady once said to me that she never understood why people worry more about car insurance than life insurance, because you may or may not ever wreck your car, but you would eventually die.   (see Ecclesiastes 7:2)

Many of you already know that just over a week ago, a young man from Kentucky was fatally injured in a motocross accident right here in Montgomery County, Indiana while racing at the Ironman Raceway Regional Championship.  As a mother, it's unfathomable...I can't begin to imagine what his family is going through.  But as a mother of kids that race, it's down right frightening. 

My son, Jake, and I had a long conversation about the tragedy. The same day that Austin Mincey died, my son and a few of his friends posted their bikes for sale on Facebook.  I didn't want to see him give up a sport that he loved, even if it is dangerous at times.  He said to me, "Mom, you never know...anything can happen. What if I get hurt and can't work to support my wife and son?" 

"You're right son...anything can happen. But you could get hurt at work, or driving down the road.  We can't live in fear."

I shared with him my heart and my faith, and I explained to him that God knew the events of our lives before we were even born.  He numbered our days.  And when it's our day to cease to live on this earth, we will meet our Maker.  Not a moment before...not a moment later.  (see Ecclesiastes 3:2, Luke 12:25)

I wonder if that's of any comfort to the Mincey family today.  The only way it can be is if we place our lives in God's hands and trust Him.  And accept Him while we can, not putting off a decision that is a matter of eternity. (see John 3:16)

I wish I had the answers to the questions that run through everyone's mind at a time like this.  Only God knows why.  Only God knows when. So, I hold on to the hope of spending eternity with the people I love because of the grace and mercy of Christ. (see John 11:25)  I've already got a list of questions started that I would like to ask Jesus.  Why children ever die is right at the top of my list.

But what about the ones  that are suffering?  The parents, siblings, family members, friends...what about them? 

I have never been comfortable going to funerals.  Who would be?  I've been to too many...some people I knew and loved, others I barely knew at all.  But as much as I didn't want to go, I went to show the ones who are hurting that I love and support them.  The deceased doesn't know if you showed up or not.   I know from experience that when the family looks up and sees a long line of people waiting to show their respects, it fills them with a sense of gratitude and comfort to know that this person that they loved had touched so many lives in one way or another. (see Romans 12:15)

I'm sorry to be such a Debbie-Downer today... but I wanted to share this with you, because this story really touched my heart.  I was so amazed that all I could say was, "Wow."  I wished I could have been there too, to show my respect, but this is my way of doing so, from far away, to a family I've never met.  I will lift them up to my Lord in prayer, asking God to fill their hearts with His peace and comfort and that they would feel His loving arms wrapped around them and feel the love of an entire community of motocross fans across the county.

As Austin sat at the feet of Jesus, more than 650 riders took time out of their own lives on Monday to show love and support to his family.  That's news I want to hear about.

 More than 650 Motocross Racers showed up for a funeral.

I guess what I want you all to hear today is this: we don't know what tomorrow brings.  If you love someone, make sure they know Jesus Christ and His saving grace.  That's true love.
"But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8
"A new command I give you: Love one another.  As I have loved you, so you must love one another."  John 13:34
Let's get to lovin'.

Be blessed.

Comments

  1. This one got me. Tears and all. God bless his sweet soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your sweet spirit Miss Mellany Kaye. <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Most Improved Student

The Importance of Learning to Dress the Part