Running on Empty

Have you ever been out and about, running errands, picking up kids, going here, going there and suddenly you notice the warning light on your gas gauge.  How long has that been on??  Did it just turn on?  Do I have 40 miles worth of gas in my tank?  Has it been on all day and I am just now noticing it??  Visions of myself standing on the side of the road, helpless and alone, flash through my mind.  "Lord, please get me to the nearest gas station!"

I live in rural Indiana.  There are some places I go fairly regularly, where the nearest gas station is a 15 minute drive minimum...that's if it's before 9pm.  And if you happen to need diesel fuel, you could be even further from the nearest station.

This happened to me a few days ago.  My husband, youngest son and one of his friends were with me when I looked down and the information panel read "LOW RANGE."  Usually, I can push the button and it will change to "40 MILES," telling me how far until empty.  But this time, it wouldn't do that.  It just read, "LOW RANGE."  I had no clue how long it had been in the low range...nor was I sure if I actually had a little red light next to the little gas pump symbol that would light up eventually...or maybe it already had and turned off after giving up on trying to warn me. 

I was sitting at an intersection and had to make a decision.  It was only 8:30 PM so I could possibly make it to the station closest to home - but then I'd have to turn around and drive 15 miles to take Caleb's friend home...and suddenly I remembered a little town that was just slightly out of the way from where I needed to go, and was equally as close.  What I didn't know is what time they closed.  I was praying it wasn't 8:30 PM.

I don't know why God loves me so much, but He got us there safely.  I watched as my husband pumped the gas.  I know my car has a 16 gallon tank.  I held my breath as I watched the gauge tick through the digits...14.23....15.17...15.82!  I had less than 2/10ths of a gallon of gas left in my car!  I'm not very good at math, but knowing that I get about 22 miles to the gallon, I figure I couldn't have made it another five miles down the road. 

God gently reprimanded me, "You need to keep an eye on the gauge."  No kidding, God! Thanks for helping me out.  Then He proceeded to explain to me that this lesson was bigger than the gas tank on a car.  We need to keep an eye on the gauge of lots of things: our relationships with our children and spouse, our spiritual health, our physical health...ohhh...I get it.

Let's talk about the marriage gauge.  We can get so busy with our own lives and responsibilities that we don't pay attention to the warning signs that our marriage is 'running low on fuel.'  We stop listening to each other, we stop holding hands and taking walks, we are so exhausted that we fall asleep without making time for physical intimacy.  And maybe you're both guilty, and you agree that it's something you want change, but you will get around to it after soccer season is over...after the graduation party...once you get through the holidays...and what happens?  The 'tank' runs dry.

What happens when the young intern at the office pays attention to your husband, innocently enough at first?  He's craving attention, but not getting it from you.  What happens when 'nice guy' you met at the ball park makes it known that he is interested in being more than just your friend? 

You pray...and you run like crazy to the nearest filling station!  How do you refill the tank when it's empty?  One thing that God instructed me to do, the last time I felt like I was under Satan's attack was to get my journal out and write a letter to myself about how lucky I am to have my husband and how much he loves me and what he does for me...and it worked.  My tank was filled enough to get me to a better place to get a complete fill up. 

Warning signs are all around you.  Slow down enough to check the gauges before you take off today.  What gauges are blinking red lights at you?  Is it with your children?  Do you need to take your tweener out for lunch and reconnect?  Do you need a tea party with an adorable four-year-old? 

Maybe it's your spiritual gauge.  Maybe you need to fast for a day, or take a long walk through the woods with God for a heart-to-heart. 

Whatever it is, pay attention.  You never know when "too late" is going to arrive.

Be blessed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Most Improved Student

The Importance of Learning to Dress the Part