Everything is Fine

I was thinking about my sweet baby girl yesterday.   Well, she's not a baby anymore,  but as mothers, you know what I mean.  She's 23 and living in Nashville, Tennessee.   And I miss her.  A lot.

I don't hear from her as much as I used to, now that she's settling in to her adult life.  A good job.  A sweet boyfriend.   A nice apartment.   A cute dog.  All is well.

When she does call it's usually because she's had a bad day at work or some unexpected expense has popped up.  I'm always happy to hear from her, but I find myself feeling down when we hang up.  Sad that I'm not close enough to hug her.  Not rich enough to fix every financial woe. 

I know what it's like to be hundreds of miles away from the loving embrace of your mother.  Even in the past few years,  I've had episodes when I've need to just run to my momma.  I'd dial the number and wait for her to answer, but the mere sound of her voice would bring the flow of overwhelming emotion and tears so that I couldn't even speak.  Thank goodness for caller I D so she knew it wasn't a prank call.  She would patiently wait for me to pull myself together enough to talk.

Whether it's a mom or a dad, a sibling or a friend,  everyone needs to have someone to talk to when it feels like the world is caving in on you. 

Today I was wishing that my daughter would call me more often with good news, a happy report or even just to say that everything is fine.  To say that she doesn't need anything.   To say thanks for what you did for me last time I had a crisis.

I have an older brother who is much the same way.  I'll ask my mom if she's heard from him.  "Nope.  He must be doing well."
You know what they say, no news is good news.   I always took that to mean that the absence of news must be good.  Because I'm an optimist. 

I know what my mom's going to say when she reads this post.  She wishes I'd call her more too.  But more than that, God has gently reminded me that He feels the same way.

Why do we so often wait until there's a need to call on God?  Why can't I pray for my friend before there's cancer threatening her life?  Why can't I be more proactive and less reactive?

God wants to hear from us, even when there's no pressing need prompting our prayers.  We live in a world full of need - whether it's the need for peace or help for the orphans around the world, there is always something to pray for.  But how much would our Heavenly Father like to hear our voice once in a while just to say, "Hello, I'm not calling to ask for anything,  just to say that everything is fine."

Be blessed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Most Improved Student

The Importance of Learning to Dress the Part