Every. Single. Thing.

Oh my gracious!  I am so excited... I found a NEW book in the Bible today!! 

Let me explain...

I've been feeling a little stagnant lately...like the icky pond in my front yard - yeah...just like that.  And when you feel that way and you KNOW that you feel that way, it's so frustrating.  It's like having a third-person view of your own life...almost like watching a movie of yourself; and you can see yourself slipping, sliding, falling away from where you want to be.  Or like watching yourself turn left when Jesus kept going straight ahead.  It's more frustrating than trying to tie your shoes with one hand.  Pretty soon, you just want to throw your hands up and scream.

So I've been watching this happen for a few days - and I really think that the ability to recognize this process is a sign of maturity, so I praise God for it.  But today, I had finally had enough.  I was determined to claw my way back up the mountain, through the mud and back to the place where Jesus sits, waiting for me.  Where the views are breathtaking.

I remembered a Bible study lesson that I did with my small group ladies (love you all!) this past spring.  I can't remember much detail, but I remember the revelation that God gave me.  It was something about prayer - and why do we sometimes pray with our head bowed and other times we don't.  I remember God showing me that when we pray as we go throughout our day, while we are driving, grocery shopping, jogging (not me, but someone else) or standing in line at the post office, it's like having a conversation with a friend.  Sometimes silent, sometimes out loud. 

There is power in the spoken word, so I firmly believe that a prayer that is spoken out loud carries more 'weight' than the conversations we have in our head...but we can talk more about that another day. 

God plainly showed me during that study that when we bow our heads and close our eyes we are speaking to the LORD...with reverence, awe and respect.  And when we kneel we are offering a sacrifice of physical comfort.  It surely takes more effort to kneel and pray than it does to sit in my comfy chair...especially as the years slide by...because God knows that I am physically capable of doing it, but just being too lazy. 

And Sisters, I can tell you that today I had to get on my face before God.  I knew I needed that kind of interaction.  To be the lowest I could possibly be.  I even covered my eyes so that I would not be distracted from my prayers, as so often I do (and if you've ready very many of my blog posts, you already knew this about me.)  And I pleaded with God to fill the hollow place in me - to make real changes in me, not just the kind of change that you can pretend to make. 

When the tears come, I can feel the Spirit of God covering me like a warm blanket, and I just rest in Him.  And soak Him up like a sponge. 

So what about this new book in my Bible??  Well, God led me to Ephesians.  I know, I know, you're thinking, "Ok, but that book has always been there."  But it never spoke to me like it did today!  Those words were different!  Because every. single. thing. I prayed about (those periods are to increase the feeling...think of each one like a pounding of my fist on the table.) Every. Single. Thing. I prayed about this morning was there - in that book - like I had never seen it before.  I devoured the entire book out of sheer joy that God was speaking directly to ME in this book that has been laying here, on my table, day after day...and now, God shows me how His word is ALIVE and it can breathe new life into a long-time believer like me.  If I will make the effort.  If I will occasionally get on my face before Him and remember that while yes indeed, He is my Abba Father, my Friend, my Guide, my Counselor, my Physician, my Shepherd, my Rock, my Everything...first and foremost HE IS GOD.  And today, I paid homage to Him and it has brought sweet relief to my parched soul. 

I pray you can feel it for yourself.  I'm not talking about just having faith, and believing in God, and saying your prayers... I'm talking about the filling of your cup that drowns the flesh and makes your chest feel tight and begs you to stay in the presence of God, prostrate before Him.  When did we get too 'cool' for this posture?  Sister, run to your prayer closet and fall on your face before God. He's waiting for you - and He has got something wonderful for you.

Go. Find. God.

Be blessed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Most Improved Student

The Importance of Learning to Dress the Part