Precious Time

Today has been a good day. 

I took my youngest son, Caleb,  kayaking.   He's done it many times, but me, I was a novice.   Not new to the creek, just the kayak.  I loved it!

Caleb was very patient with me and I enjoyed hearing the excitement in his voice as he watched "huge" fish dart around beneath us.  He assured me that if he had been in a tube just then, he would have grabbed that fish right out of the water. 

The highlight of my day was when he actually let me take a 'selfie' with him. That's a rarity.  His only comment was ,  "make sure you use the best one."  He failed to say of whom, so naturally it will be the one most flattering to me! 

We laughed.  We chatted.  We sat in awe of the beautiful surroundings.  And I soaked him up, like the last drops of a cool glass of water in the hand of a desert nomad. 

I tried to study him.  His features, growing more and more manly every day.  His half-grin.  His broad shoulders.   His trucker hat, shading his fair complected face.

I know these days are precious...and few.  Next summer he will have a driver's license...and probably a girlfriend.  Hopefully a job.  But one thing he won't have is time for mom. 

I reminded him not long ago that he needed to remember that I will always be the first girl he ever loved.  "Mom! That's sick."  I just smiled.  He smiled too.  He knows it's true .

I wish I had been this intentional with all my other children.   Life was busy.  Times were harder then.  There were moments that I would ask God to etch a memory so deeply into my brain that I could never forget it.  But mostly, there was exhaustion.   Frustration.  And I dreamed of the day I would graduate into the Empty Nesters club.  But now that day is a mere 160 weeks away.  And we all know how fast the weeks go by.

So to my daughter and daughters-in-law, I beg of you...don't let the stresses of life steal the gift of time spent with the special little people God has entrusted to your care.  This is the only chance you get.  When the day is done, it's done.  And tomorrow isn't guaranteed.   Love them while you can. 

Too soon they're grown and gone and you're cautioning them to enjoy their own children.  Be intentional about making memories.   And take lots of pictures.  When they're gone, that's all you're left with.

Be blessed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Most Improved Student

The Importance of Learning to Dress the Part